Students working overseas

If you plan to work as a veterinarian overseas, you will need to register with the appropriate registration authority. You should check with the authority about the process for getting registered. Most registration authorities require, at a minimum:

  • proof of identity (notarised copy of passport, and photo)
  • proof of qualification (notarised copy of qualification)
  • proof of registration (a letter of good standing from the appropriate registration authority)

If you have already registered with us, the registration authority in your country of destination will probably require a Letter of Good Standing from us. This states your date of registration, your current practising status, whether there has ever been a finding of professional misconduct against you, how you stand in relation to fee payment, and whether you are in “good standing” with us. In many jurisdictions this letter of good standing has a shelf-life of about three months, so you need to ensure it is reasonably current when you apply for overseas registration.

You may request a letter of good standing by contacting and paying the current fee . We will send the letter of good standing directly to the overseas registration authority and send you a copy if you request it.

If you have not registered with us, we can’t provide a letter of good standing. You will need to tell the overseas registration authority that you are not registered with us.

Many New Zealand veterinarians travel to the United Kingdom. The UK Registration body is the Royal College of Veterinary Surgeons. If you are travelling to Australia, each state or territory has its own registration board.

If you wish to work in the Republic of Ireland and are a Massey graduate, you should contact the Veterinary Council of Ireland.