Role and Structure
The Veterinary Council's functions are set out in the Veterinarians Act.
Council is a fair and consistent regulator of veterinary standards. We protect the public interest by ensuring vets are competent and fit to practise.
We do this by:
- setting minimum standards for veterinary practice
- promoting high standards of veterinary education and conduct
- reviewing concerns about veterinarians' performance, professional conduct or health and taking action where necessary
- registering veterinarians
- recognising as appropriate qualifications for registration by accrediting or approving the institutions which offer them
- recertifying veterinarians through the issue of practising certificates
- advising and making recommendations to the Minister and Massey University on relevant veterinary issues.
Find out more about our Council members and committees.