Massey Graduates

To practise as a veterinarian in New Zealand you must be registered with the Veterinary Council of New Zealand (VCNZ) and hold a current practising certificate.

(Note: If you're a Massey veterinarian who has previously been registered with the VCNZ, and has worked overseas, you'll have to renew your Annual Practising Certificate, arrange for a letter of good standing to be sent directly to the Council from every registration body you are currently, or have been registered with, in the last 10 years, and complete a fitness to practise declaration. Contact us for more information).

If you are completing your fifth year in 2019 and are due to graduate in 2020 apply here .

To ensure that we can process your application quickly, please make sure that you supply all of the details requested and that the application itself and all of the accompanying documents are certified as true copies of the original by the same person. A Justice of the Peace, solicitor or authorised court official can do this. You can find them in the yellow pages of the phone book.

Confirmation of BVSc degree

Massey University will notify us of the final examination results directly after the examiners' meeting. If you register within a few months of completing your programme you don’t have to provide us with proof that you've completed your degree.
Other academic qualifications

If you hold academic qualifications other than a veterinary degree and you wish these to be listed in the Register of Veterinarians please supply either the original qualification form or a copy which has been certified by a Justice of the Peace, Notary Public or Solicitor.
Change of name

If the name on your degree parchment or any other document needed for registration is different from that in which you wish to be registered, you need to send us proof of your name change eg Marriage Certificate or Deed Poll Certificate. We need an original or certified copy.
Payment of fees

You need to pay a one off registration application fee of $361.00. In addition to this there is a fee of $144.75 for your Annual Practising Certificate (APC). As a Massey graduate the APC charge is reduced for the first year of practice and this payment entitles you to practise until 31 March 2020. You need to send us the payment of $505.75 for the application fee and the APC with your application.

Annual Practising Certificate (APC) is required to be renewed annually

The practice year runs from 1 April to 31 March each year. In late January/early February  2020 veterinarians will be invited to apply online to renew their practising status for the year 1 April 2020 to 31 March 2021.
Contact details

Please include on your application form an address where we can contact you if you have left the university. Registered vets are required by law to inform the VCNZ of change of address details.
Please note that you will be in breach of the Veterinarians Act (s31 & 32) if you practise prior to receiving verification from the VCNZ office that you have received registration.
Veterinarians Act 2005
The Act outlines your responsibilities in applying for registration and your professional responsibilities as a registered veterinarian. It is available online.
Code of Professional Conduct
This Code sets out the professional and ethical conduct standards veterinarians are required to meet and may be measured against. Copies of the Code of Professional Conduct were provided to each student at Prelude to Practice. It is also available on this website .
Continuing Professional Development
Continuing professional development is an essential aspect of maintaining the minimum standards required of veterinarians. Click here for the current requirements.
 If you have any queries or need assistance with your application please feel free to contact us.
Useful Links
The Australasian Veterinary Boards Council

  • Link to contacts for all Australian state/territorial registration boards. (Use 'Contacts' tab)

New Zealand Veterinary Association (NZVA)

  • Promotes the application of veterinary knowledge in New Zealand

The American Veterinary Medical Association (AVMA)

  • The regulatory body for the veterinary profession in the United States

The Royal College of Veterinary Surgeons (RCVS)

  • The regulatory body for the veterinary profession in the United Kingdom.